Ramblings and delusional thoughts

Random thoughts and delusional momements from history, computers, metrication and other bits of nonsense I chose to prattle on about.

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

The conspiracy in commercial television

Needed a title for this one...

Spent more than a normal amount of time watching the tube. Now, I recently ranted about the fact that they have to make 1 hour shows to get some story content across. Seems that is now eroded! At least in Canada (my next rant will be about the CRTC) it seems. The producers of our so called entertainment have such a subtle way of eroding the entertainment content that if you watch it regularly you never see it.

OK, cut to the chase! Since when did all the programs quit 5 minutes before the hour and start commercials? I thought my clock was wrong the first time, but now I see it all the time. First it was the little icon in the bottom corner telling us constantly what channel we were watching. Then the sticking of the credits off in a corner while they tell us about the next shows. Now it's the actual shortening of a show by 5 solid minutes.

Now we all know the real purpose of TV is to sell us crap. The fact that they chose to let us watch some pretend drama is only a side effect! In my delusional state I actually believe that the next phase will be when commercial time actually exceeds the actual story time. Hey, I predicted the home computer thing in the 70's! It scares me to think this time I will be right. But then again, I never believed that we would see commercials in movie theatres. But I had to be told that as I never go to movies. I do spend far to much time alone don't I ....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home